On Mothers Day we pay tribute to a fundamental member of the family nucleus. We celebrate Mother’s Day . Mothers are the beginning of life, protection, joy and hope. Being a mother does not only mean raising and meeting the needs of your children. They represent unconditional love and support in their development as people.
That is why today we honor in a very special way all the mothers of the world.
Table of Contents
When is Mother’s Day celebrated in different parts of the world?
When it comes to celebrating Mother’s Day, different countries have their own unique ways of honoring their mothers. While the concept of celebrating motherhood has been around for centuries, the modern Mother’s Day that we know today is celebrated on different dates around the world. Let’s take a look at how different countries celebrate and when they observe Mother’s Day.
United States of America:
Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May in the United States of America. It was first celebrated in 1908 when Anna Jarvis organized a memorial for her mother. She then campaigned for a holiday honoring mothers, and in 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day.
In the United Kingdom, Mother’s Day is known as Mothering Sunday, and it falls on the fourth Sunday of Lent. This day has its origins in the Christian church and was a time when people returned to their “mother” church. Later, it became a day when servants were given the day off to visit their families and their mothers. Today, it is celebrated by giving gifts, cards, and flowers to mothers.
In Australia, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May, just like in the United States. It has been celebrated since 1924, and it is a day to recognize and honor the important role that mothers play in society.
In France, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the last Sunday in May, or the first Sunday in June if it coincides with Pentecost. It is called “Fete des Meres,” and it is a day to show appreciation for mothers by giving them gifts and spending time with them.
In Mexico, Mother’s Day is celebrated on May 10th every year. It is a very important holiday in Mexico, and families come together to honor their mothers. It is a day filled with food, music, and festivities.
In India, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May, just like in the United States. It has become a popular holiday in recent years, and people often give their mothers gifts and cards to show their appreciation.
In South Africa, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday in May, just like in the United States. It is a day to honor mothers and mother figures, and people often give them gifts and cards to show their appreciation.
While Mother’s Day is celebrated on different dates around the world, the sentiment behind it remains the same – to honor and appreciate mothers for their love, care, and sacrifices. Whether it is celebrated on the second Sunday of May, the fourth Sunday of Lent, or on any other day, the message is clear – mothers are cherished and loved, and they deserve to be celebrated.
Best mothers day gift ideas
Mother’s Day is a time to celebrate the special woman in your life who has always been there for you through thick and thin. Whether it’s your own mother, grandmother, or a mother figure, finding the perfect gift to show your appreciation can be a daunting task. To make it easier for you, we have compiled a list of the best Mother’s Day gift ideas that are sure to put a smile on her face.
- Personalized Jewelry: Nothing says “I love you” more than a piece of jewelry customized just for her. From engraved necklaces to birthstone bracelets, personalized jewelry is a sentimental gift that she can cherish for years to come.
- Spa Day: Give your mom the gift of relaxation with a spa day package. Treat her to a massage, facial, or a full day of pampering to help her unwind and de-stress.
- Photo Book: Create a photo book filled with memories of you and your mom throughout the years. Include pictures from family vacations, holidays, and special occasions to remind her of the happy times you have shared together.
- Cooking Classes: If your mom loves to cook, sign her up for a cooking class or workshop. She can learn new recipes and techniques while enjoying a fun and interactive experience.
- Personalized Home Decor: Help spruce up your mom’s living space with personalized home decor. From customized picture frames to monogrammed throw pillows, these gifts add a personal touch to any room.
- Subscription Boxes: Give your mom the gift that keeps on giving with a monthly subscription box. There are boxes available for everything from beauty products to gourmet snacks, so you’re sure to find one that fits her interests.
- Gardening Tools: For the mom with a green thumb, consider gifting her some new gardening tools. A new set of shears or a stylish watering can can make her gardening experience even more enjoyable.
- Tech Accessories: If your mom is tech-savvy, consider gifting her some new accessories for her gadgets. From stylish phone cases to smartwatches, these gifts combine functionality with fashion.
- Fitness Gear: Encourage your mom to stay active and healthy with some new fitness gear. From yoga mats to running shoes, there are plenty of options to help her stay on top of her fitness goals.
- Virtual Experiences: If you can’t be with your mom in person, consider gifting her a virtual experience. From virtual wine tastings to online cooking classes, these gifts allow you to connect and bond with your mom from afar.
No matter what gift you choose, the most important thing is to show your mom how much you love and appreciate her. Remember, it’s the thought and effort that counts, so don’t stress too much about finding the perfect gift. Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing moms out there!
Happy mothers day wishes
- Happy Mother’s Day to the most amazing mom in the world! Thank you for your love, support, and guidance.
- Wishing a happy Mother’s Day to the woman who has always been there for me. You are the strongest, most loving person I know.
- Mom, you are my rock, my confidant, and my biggest cheerleader. I love you more than words can express. Happy Mother’s Day!
- To the world’s best mom, thank you for your endless patience, kindness, and understanding. You make our lives brighter every day. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who taught me how to be strong, kind, and compassionate. Your love has shaped who I am today, and I am forever grateful.
- Mom, you are my inspiration, my role model, and my best friend. I am so blessed to have you in my life. Happy Mother’s Day!
- To my amazing mom, thank you for all the sacrifices you’ve made and the love you’ve given. You are the heart and soul of our family. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Wishing a happy Mother’s Day to the woman who gave me life and raised me with love, kindness, and grace. You are a true blessing in my life.
- Mom, thank you for being my constant source of love and support. You have always been my guiding light, and I am so lucky to have you as my mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who makes everything possible. Your love, strength, and wisdom have shaped my life in more ways than I can count. Thank you for everything, Mom!
- On this special day, I want to thank you for being the best mom in the world. Your love, care, and support have made me who I am today. Happy Mother’s Day!
- To my dear mother, you are the glue that holds our family together. Your selfless love and sacrifice have been a guiding light for us all. Wishing you a very happy Mother’s Day.
- I am so grateful for everything you have done for me, Mom. Your unwavering love, kindness, and wisdom have been a constant source of inspiration. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are not just a mother, but also a friend, a confidant, and a guide. Your unconditional love has helped me through my toughest times. Happy Mother’s Day, mom!
- Today, we celebrate the person who has given us life, nurtured us, and shaped us into who we are. Thank you, Mom, for all your sacrifices and for being the best mom in the world. Happy Mother’s Day!
- A mother’s love is like no other. It is pure, unconditional, and selfless. Thank you for always being there for me, mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are the most amazing woman I know, Mom. Your strength, courage, and grace inspire me every day. Wishing you a very happy Mother’s Day filled with love and joy.
- I feel so blessed to have a mother like you. Your endless love and support have helped me achieve my dreams. Thank you for always being there for me. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Your love is like a warm hug that envelops me and makes everything okay. I am so grateful to have a mother like you. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!
- Today, I want to tell you how much I love and appreciate you, Mom. You are my rock, my confidant, and my best friend. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are the glue that holds our family together, Mom. Your love and care have been a constant source of comfort and support. Wishing you a very happy Mother’s Day.
- Your love is the light that illuminates my path and gives me strength. I am so grateful for everything you do, Mom. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Your love has been a constant source of inspiration, Mom. Thank you for always believing in me and encouraging me to be my best. Happy Mother’s Day!
- You are not just a mother, but also a teacher, a mentor, and a role model. Your wisdom and guidance have helped me navigate through life’s challenges. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!
- I am so lucky to have a mother like you who loves me unconditionally and supports me in all my endeavors. Thank you for being my biggest cheerleader. Happy Mother’s Day!
Why is Mother’s Day celebrated?
The origins of this celebration come from the Egyptian civilization , where the Goddess Isis, known as the “Great Mother” was the object of worship and homage. In ancient Greece she was the Goddess Rhea, mother of the Olympian Gods, and in the Roman Empire the Goddess Cybele, the Mother Goddess, was worshiped.
Catholicism in Europe transformed these celebrations in honor of the mother goddesses and transferred it to the Virgin Mary , mother of Jesus of Nazareth. On December 8, 1954, Pope Pius IX declared Mother’s Day to be celebrated on this date, in honor of the Immaculate Conception. In fact, in some countries, such as Panama, Mother’s Day is still celebrated on December 8.
In the United States, two influential women fought to have Mother’s Day recognized. They were the poet and activist Julia Ward Howe and Anna Reeves Jarvis. The latter led an active campaign that spread to the entire territory of the United States. And finally had results. US President Woodrow Wilson officially declared in 1914 that Mother’s Day would be celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
In Spain at that time Mother’s Day was celebrated on December 8, the day of the Immaculate Conception . It was as a result of Woodrow Wilson’s official declaration that a distinction of celebrations was raised: on the one hand, the Immaculate Conception and on the other Mother’s Day as a celebration of motherhood.
It is in the year 1965 when Mother’s Day is moved to the first Sunday of May, as we know it today.
Happy Mother’s Day! What to do to celebrate it?
Commemorating a mother’s love is not limited to a specific day, every day is a special occasion to celebrate and share with our mothers. There are many things you can do to celebrate Mother’s Day , even in times of a pandemic.
If you have the happiness of having your mother close, you can share this day with her, chatting, remembering good times, looking at photos from yesteryear, or doing things that you like. And why not, have a special detail with her, giving her a present: cards, flowers, chocolates and other items that she likes.
Mothers day quotes
Mother’s Day is an annual occasion to celebrate the love, care, and sacrifices of mothers worldwide. One of the most popular ways to express appreciation for moms is through heartfelt quotes. Here are some of the best quotes to help you express your love and gratitude:
- “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” – Agatha Christie
- “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” – Rudyard Kipling
- “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.” – Unknown
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Honore de Balzac
- “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Mermillod
- “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” – James E. Faust
- “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” – Princess Diana
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” – Maya Angelou
- “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed.” – Linda Wooten
- “Motherhood is the greatest thing and the hardest thing.” – Ricki Lake
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” – Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “A mother’s love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
- “A mother’s happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories.” – Honore de Balzac
- “No one in the world can take the place of your mother. Right or wrong, from her viewpoint, you are always right. She may scold you for little things, but never for the big ones.” – Harry Truman
These quotes are just a few examples of the countless beautiful and inspiring words that have been written about mothers throughout history. No matter which quote you choose, the most important thing is to express your love and appreciation for your mother on this special day.
Mothers day card messages
Mother’s Day is a special occasion to celebrate the love and sacrifices of mothers around the world. One of the most popular ways to express appreciation for moms is by giving them a thoughtful card with a heartfelt message. Here are some ideas for Mother’s Day card messages that you can personalize and make your own:
- “Happy Mother’s Day to the most amazing woman I know. Thank you for always being there for me and for being my rock through thick and thin. I love you more than words can say.”
- “To my dearest mother, you are the light of my life and the glue that holds our family together. I am so grateful for everything you do, and I wish you a happy Mother’s Day filled with love and joy.”
- “You are more than just a mother to me; you are my best friend, my confidant, and my role model. Thank you for always believing in me and for teaching me to be the person I am today. Happy Mother’s Day!“
- “On this special day, I want to thank you for all the times you kissed my boo-boos, wiped away my tears, and made me laugh when I wanted to cry. You are the best mom in the world, and I am lucky to have you.”
- “Mother’s Day is a time to celebrate the superwomen in our lives who do it all. You are the epitome of strength, grace, and love, and I am blessed to call you my mother. Happy Mother’s Day!“
- “I may not say it often, but you mean the world to me, Mom. Thank you for all the sacrifices you have made and for being my biggest cheerleader. I love you more than you will ever know. Happy Mother’s Day!“
- “You are the queen of our family, and I am honored to be your child. Your unwavering love and support have helped me through the toughest times in my life, and for that, I am forever grateful. Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!”
- “To the best mom in the universe, thank you for being my guiding light and my source of inspiration. I am who I am today because of you, and I love you to the moon and back. Happy Mother’s Day!”
- “Thank you for all the bedtime stories, the homemade cookies, and the countless memories we have shared together. You are not only my mother, but also my best friend. Happy Mother’s Day, and cheers to many more adventures to come!”
- “A mother’s love knows no bounds, and yours is no exception. You have always been my biggest fan and my constant support system, and I could not ask for a better mom. Happy Mother’s Day, and here’s to a lifetime of love and happiness!”
These Mother’s Day card messages are just a few examples of the countless ways you can express your love and appreciation for your mother. Remember, the most important thing is to speak from your heart and let your mom know just how much she means to you. Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing moms out there!
Movies to watch on Mother’s Day
Invite her to enjoy a nice and funny movie, from the comfort of home. We recommend some interesting titles related to Mother’s Day:
- Stay by my side (USA, 1998, drama): tells the story of two women who must put aside their differences and resentments to deal with a family situation.
- Mamma Mia (USA, 2008, musical comedy): tells the story of a young woman who has been raised on a Greek island by a rebellious and unconventional mother. She must find out who her real father is.
- A possible dream (USA, year 2009, drama): a privileged-class American family adopts an African-American teenager from a broken home, to forge a promising future for him.
- Brave (USA, year 2012, animation): it is about the relationship of a princess with her mother, who is determined to change her future, making a brave decision.
- Happy Mother’s Day (USA, year 2017, comedy-drama): Mother’s Day is only a few days away and several families have to decide how to celebrate it.
- Wonder (USA, year 2017, comedy drama): a mother accompanies her son to the transition to normal life, since he suffers from a genetic disease that has deformed his face.
Mother’s Day is celebrated in different parts of the world on various dates and in various ways. While the tradition of honoring mothers can be traced back to ancient civilizations, the modern-day celebration of Mother’s Day was first observed in the United States in 1908. Since then, the holiday has spread to many countries and has been adapted to local customs and traditions.
Whether you celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday of May, like in the United States, or on a different date, the message of the holiday remains the same: to show appreciation and gratitude for the important role that mothers play in our lives. While the specific customs and traditions may vary, the sentiment behind the holiday is universal.
As we’ve seen, there are many interesting and unique ways that Mother’s Day is celebrated around the world. From traditional festivals and parades to modern-day gift-giving and card-sending, the holiday has evolved over time but continues to hold a special place in the hearts of people everywhere.
So, no matter where you are in the world, take some time to honor the mothers in your life and show them how much you care. Happy Mother’s Day!
Congratulations to all the mothers on your day! If you share on social networks use the hashtag #HappyMotherDay
When is mothers day this year ?
Sun, May 14, 2023
- India’s first female teacher – Savitribai Phule
- 50 Best Motivational Quotes
- Life Quotes
- Biography of Mother Teresa: Who dedicated her life to the poor