World Environment Day is celebrated on June 5 , with the aim of raising awareness among the world population about the importance of caring for our ecosystems and promoting respect for the environment.
Table of Contents
History of world environment day
World Environment Day was established by the United Nations General Assembly during the momentous Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment in 1972. This pivotal event marked the commencement of global endeavors to tackle pressing environmental concerns. Since its inception in 1974, World Environment Day has evolved into a momentous global affair, fostering heightened environmental consciousness and inspiring action at the individual, community, and global levels.
World Environment Day holds profound significance as it serves as a poignant reminder of the utmost importance of safeguarding and conserving our environment for present and future generations. The day serves as a clarion call to address a range of critical issues including climate change, deforestation, pollution, biodiversity loss, and sustainable development. Governments, organizations, and individuals are urged to embrace this occasion and proactively tackle these challenges.
This auspicious day provides a unique opportunity for individuals from all walks of life, spanning governments, businesses, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and the general public, to translate their concerns into tangible actions that protect our environment. It empowers people to adopt sustainable practices, such as waste reduction, energy conservation, the implementation of eco-friendly approaches, and active support for environmental causes. Furthermore, World Environment Day serves as an esteemed global platform for policy discussions, knowledge dissemination, and the implementation of impactful environmental initiatives.
Importance of world environment day
World Environment Day carries tremendous importance as it stands as a worldwide stage to elevate consciousness and drive meaningful efforts towards safeguarding our planet. Commemorated each year on June 5th, this momentous occasion underscores the significance of preserving our environment and embracing sustainability. By motivating individuals, communities, and governments to actively engage, World Environment Day strives to tackle urgent concerns including climate change, deforestation, pollution, and the depletion of biodiversity.
Origin of World Environment Day
World Environment Day was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972, coinciding with the start of the Stockholm Conference , whose main theme was precisely the environment.
World Environment Day requires a global effort
Within the framework of the celebration of World Environment Day, efforts should be focused on motivating people and communities, so that they become active agents of sustainable development and environmental protection.
That is why people are invited to improve their consumption habits. Companies to develop more ecological models. Governments to protect wild areas. Teachers to educate in natural values. Young people to raise their voices for the future of the planet. Protecting the environment requires everyone’s support.
Also read: essay on environment day
world environment day theme 2023
A central theme is chosen annually to commemorate World Environment Day. In 2023 the World Environment Day campaign has the slogan: “No pollution by plastics” .
400 million tons of plastic. It is the number of plastics that are produced worldwide each year. And more than half are single-use plastics. Less than 10% is recycled. Of all this amount of plastic between 19 and 23 million tons end up in rivers, lakes and seas. Microplastics invade water and air and this has a negative impact on the health of people and the planet.
These data are unsustainable and therefore in 2023, the theme of World Environment Day focuses on the problem of plastic. The UN considers that there are scientific advances and solutions that could solve this crisis, and that all that is needed is political will and that all social agents are involved in the change.
Past World Environment Day Themes/ Slogans
Year 2022: One Earth
For the year 2022 the central theme was “One Earth” . With this, it was intended to make visible the emergency that our planet is facing in terms of climate , evidencing the accelerated global warming and the limited adaptability of people and nature.
On the other hand, the loss of habitat has impacted more than a million species, which are in danger of extinction.
Together with this, environmental pollution has a negative and radical impact on the air, land and water.
This campaign was aimed at raising awareness about such problems, promoting the protection and restoration of our planet through the execution of various actions, which implies the transformation of global societies and economies towards inclusion, justice and respect for nature.
Year 2021: Reimagine, recover, restore
In the year 2021 the central theme was “Reimagine, recover, restore” . We can contribute to the environment and make peace with nature, in order to prevent climate catastrophe, reduce environmental pollution and stop the loss of biodiversity:
- Growing trees in our locality, to make our cities and our spaces greener.
- Repopulating our gardens with wild species.
- Changing our way of eating.
- Cleaning rivers and coasts.
Year 2020: Biodiversity
In 2020 the central theme was Biodiversity , a great cause for global concern in environmental matters. Recent catastrophic events, such as the large-scale wildfires in Brazil, California, and Australia, the locust invasion in the Horn of Africa, and the COVID-19 pandemic, demonstrated that nature had sent us a very clear message.
World environment day quotes by famous personalities
- “The realm of the environment is our collective meeting ground, a realm that binds us all with a shared vested interest. It stands as the common thread connecting humanity.” – Lady Bird Johnson
- “In every expedition through nature’s embrace, one garners treasures far surpassing mere desires.” – John Muir
- “The Earth stands as the unifying force that intertwines us all, transcending differences and highlighting our shared destiny.” – Wendell Berry
- “The prime opportunity to sow the seeds of a tree was two decades ago. Yet, the second most opportune time is this very moment.” – Chinese Proverb
- “We do not inherit the Earth from our forefathers; instead, we temporarily borrow it from the legacy we bequeath to our progeny.” – Native American Proverb
- “The gravest peril to our planet lies in the delusion that salvation rests upon another’s shoulders.” – Robert Swan
- “The environment and the economy exist as two faces of an inseparable coin. Without upholding the environment, our own sustenance remains imperiled.” – Wangari Maathai
- “The Earth does not belong to us; instead, we belong to the Earth, integral threads woven within its intricate tapestry.” – Chief Seattle
- “We have forsaken the art of being honorable guests, treading lightly upon the Earth as do its other cherished inhabitants.” – Barbara Ward
- “The environment encompasses the realm in which we dwell, toil, and revel. It encapsulates all facets of our existence and warrants utmost preservation.” – Sylvia Earle
slogan for world environment day
- Go Green, Save the Scene!
- Love your planet, it’s the only home we’ve got.
- Earth matters! Let’s take care of it together.
- Protect our Earth, preserve our future.
- Be the change for a greener tomorrow.
- Think globally, act locally for a healthier planet.
- Every day is Earth Day, let’s make every action count.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: The key to a sustainable lifestyle.
- Plant a tree, nurture life, create harmony.
- Join the green revolution, make a positive environmental contribution.
- Cleaner Earth, brighter future.
- Small steps, big impact: Choose eco-friendly.
- Nature’s beauty is our responsibility.
- Protect the environment, it’s a gift to future generations.
- Sustainable living: The path to a better world.
- Act green, keep the Earth pristine.
- Save water, save life, save the planet.
- Embrace nature, embrace a brighter future.
- Make every day Environment Day.
- Don’t be trashy, be classy. Keep the environment clean.
- Respect Mother Earth, she’s our only home.
- Choose eco-conscious, be environmentally conscious.
- Green is the new black: Fashion yourself a sustainable world.
- Protect wildlife, preserve biodiversity.
- Be an environmental hero, zero waste is the way to go.
- Walk the talk, reduce your carbon footprint.
- Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but memories.
- Say no to pollution, let clean solutions reign.
- Earth is our common ground, let’s unite to protect it.
- A cleaner Earth is a happier Earth.
What is Biodiversity and why is it so important?
Biodiversity is a term that refers to the wide variety of living things on Earth . There are currently some eight million species on our planet, living in a unique ecosystem. Each member of this biodiversity plays a fundamental role in the natural balance.
Biodiversity is the foundation of all life on Earth, and without it, human health is compromised. Clean water, pure air, nutritious food, everything depends absolutely on it.
Human activities have been altering the planet for decades, causing unprecedented loss of biodiversity. Glacial ice is melting, coral reefs have been cut in half, and vast tracts of forest have been lost. We are on the verge of a mass extinction, which will cause serious consequences for humanity, involving the collapse of food and health systems.
Host of World Environment Day 2023
Every year, a country becomes the host and organizer of World Environment Day . For the year 2023 the host country is the Ivory Coast .
Hosts of World Environment Day from previous years
Host 2022: Sweden
For the year 2022 the host country was Sweden .
On June 2 and 3, world leaders and representatives of governments, international organizations, companies, civil society and youth met in Sweden.
The Stockholm+50 conference was held , in which actions were promoted to achieve a healthy planet for all. It also commemorated the 50th anniversary of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment , which defined a new era of global environmental cooperation.
Host 2021: Pakistan
For the year 2021 the host was Pakistan . In the celebration of this year’s anniversary, the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration began , which has as its fundamental objective “to prevent, stop and reverse the degradation of ecosystems throughout the world” .
Year 2020: Colombia
The host in 2020 was Colombia , supported by Germany. The announcement was made at the UN Conference on Climate Change, which was held in Madrid in 2019. The central theme was “time for nature” , highlighting biodiversity.
Year 2019: China
In 2019, the host of World Environment Day was China , with the theme “Fight against air pollution” , the greatest environmental risk to health. This factor affects approximately 7 million lives every year, most of them in the Asia-Pacific region.
Year 2018: India
In 2018, the host was India with the slogan “No plastic pollution” , to draw the attention of the population to the responsibility we have in plastic pollution on the planet, estimating that more than 8 million tons are dumped into the sea annually. of plastic that affect the marine ecosystem.
Year 2017: Canada
In 2017 the host was Canada with the motto “Connect people with nature” . Its rich and varied natural heritage is a source of pride and identity for Canadians and underpins the country’s economic prosperity. As part of the celebrations for World Environment Day and its 150th anniversary, Canada offered free admission to its National Parks during that year.
Did you know? Curiosities about the environment
The planet we inhabit has some curious and interesting facts that you may not have known:
- The rotation speed of the Earth is gradually decreasing. It is estimated that in about 140 million years the length of a day on Earth will be 25 hours.
- The outer and inner layers of the Earth’s core are composed mainly of iron and nickel, generating a strong magnetic field. This field prevents strong solar winds from causing damage to various forms of life on Earth.
- Scientists claim that there are more than 1,500 minerals that have not yet been discovered on Earth.
- If all the newspapers sold daily were recycled, the annual felling of more than 250 million trees worldwide would be avoided.
- The temperature of the Earth’s inner core ranges from 5,400 to 6,000 degrees Celsius and is hotter than the surface temperature of the sun, estimated at 5,500 degrees Celsius.
- The countries with the greatest industrial development and population are those that emit the greatest amount of polluting gases into the environment: the United States, Russia, China and India.
- Approximately 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by oceans, which account for 97% of the planet’s water.
- If people stopped charging their cell phones for one day, 15 million kilograms of greenhouse gases could be avoided.
- Environmental pollution has generated the mass extinction of many marine and terrestrial species.
How to celebrate World Environment Day?
Let’s celebrate World Environment Day today and every day. We can all collaborate, becoming aware of environmental conservation, with the following actions:
- Recycle and reuse the products we consume: paper, plastic and other materials.
- Use drinking water rationally.
- Plant trees in our community.
- Replace the use of vehicles by a bicycle or walking.
- Properly close taps and control water leaks.
- Use batteries and rechargeable batteries.
- Separate organic and inorganic solid waste (garbage).
- Take advantage of natural light to reduce electricity consumption and turn off the lights that we are not using.
- Consume fruits, vegetables and greens that do not contain fertilizers or other polluting products.
- Unplug electrical appliances that are not being used.
- Regulate the use of energy consumption for heating and air conditioning, using the thermostat.
world environment day was celebrated for the first time under which slogan?
“Only One Earth.
In the year 1973, the inaugural celebration of World Environment Day took place under the resonating slogan “Only One Earth.”
the first world environment day was held in which year?
Ever since its momentous inception back in 1974, the first-ever World Environment Day has flourished into an extraordinary and widely acclaimed global phenomenon, captivating the undivided attention of people from all corners of the world.
which country will host world environment day 2023?
Côte d’Ivoire, in collaboration with the Netherlands, has taken up the mantle of hosting World Environment Day 2023. With an impressive display of leadership, Côte d’Ivoire has been at the forefront of the battle against plastic pollution. In 2014, the country implemented a ban on plastic bags, encouraging the adoption of reusable packaging and fostering a burgeoning ecosystem of eco-conscious startups in its vibrant metropolis, Abidjan.
Jean-Luc Assi, the Minister for the Environment and Sustainable Development in Côte d’Ivoire, emphasizes the visible threat posed by plastic pollution, asserting that it affects every community. He proudly asserts their commitment to championing a range of remedies to combat the plastic pandemic.
The Government of the Netherlands stands firmly in support of this year’s World Environment Day. The Netherlands is renowned for its resolute actions across the entire life cycle of plastic. As a signatory of the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment and a member of the Global Partnership on Plastic Pollution and Marine Litter, the Netherlands recognizes the pressing need to address plastic pollution’s adverse impacts on health, the economy, and the environment. Vivianne Heijnen, the Netherlands’ Minister for the Environment, emphasizes the urgency of the situation and the imperative for comprehensive, effective, and robust solutions. The Netherlands, along with the broader European community, is fully dedicated to reducing the production and consumption of single-use plastics, advocating for durable and sustainable alternatives to replace them.
- World bicycle day 2023: why it is celebrated, Theme, wishes, and quotes
- International Nurses Day 2023: Celebrations, theme, quotes ,Wishes and speech
- Mother’s Day: Celebrations, Dates, Quotes, Gift Ideas, Wishes and Messages
- Sustainable development: Definition, Importance, objectives and Slogans
- International Labour day 2023: History, how it is celebrated, Theme, Quotes and wishes