International Nurses Day 2023 is celebrated on May 12 to pay tribute to nurses worldwide and honor the remarkable contributions they make to healthcare. In this article, we will delve into the theme for International Nurses Day 2023, share inspiring quotes, heartfelt wishes, and a compelling speech that highlights the significance of nursing. Let us celebrate and express our gratitude for the exceptional work of nurses around the globe.
What is nursing?
Nursing is a profession dedicated to providing care and support to patients who require medical attention. Nurses play a crucial role in treating individuals with various diseases and health disorders, offering specialized care and assistance. This profession demands individuals who are truly committed and passionate about their work, as it requires a unique blend of humanistic qualities and a collaborative approach to deliver high-quality healthcare services.
Origin of the International Council of Nursing
Established in 1899, the International Council of Nursing (ICN) represents professionals in the nursing field worldwide. With 130 national nurses associations as its members, the ICN aims to ensure excellent quality nursing care for the general population, advocate for effective health policies, advance nursing knowledge, and promote the recognition and respect of the nursing profession globally.
International nurses day 2023 theme
Nurses day theme 2023: Our nurses. Our future.
Every year, International Nurses Day celebrates a central theme. The theme for International Nurses Day 2023 is “Our Nurses. Our Future.” This theme encourages reflection on the future of nursing, addressing global health challenges, and improving the overall well-being of people worldwide. It emphasizes the importance of nurturing and supporting the nursing profession to create a better healthcare future.
Mottos of previous years
Theme 2022: Nursing: A voice to lead – Invest in nursing and respect rights to ensure global health
In 2022, the motto for International Nurses Day was “Nursing: A Voice to Lead – Invest in Nursing and Respect Rights to Ensure Global Health.” This motto highlighted the need to invest in nursing by providing resources and support for training, leadership development, employment opportunities, and improving nursing practice. It also emphasized the importance of respecting the rights of nurses to guarantee global health.
International Nursing Day 2021
In 2021, the theme for International Nursing Day was “A Voice to Lead. A Vision for the Future of Healthcare.” The focus was on projecting nursing into the future and exploring innovative approaches to transform healthcare worldwide. The International Council of Nursing prepared resources addressing topics such as COVID-19 infections and deaths among healthcare workers, stress and burnout in the nursing profession, and the shortage and retention of nurses.
Who was Florence Nightingale?
Florence Nightingale was born in Florence, Italy (1820-1910). She was considered the founder of modern nursing. Thanks to her, statistical methods of health services and epidemiology were established. On the other hand, her model of care for her patient was oriented to preserve vital energy, using nature itself to achieve healing.
For her great work in promoting health and well-being in humans, she was the first woman to be honored by the American Statistical Association and also had the honor of being a member of the Royal Statistical Society in Great Britain .
This extraordinary woman was nicknamed the Angel of the Crippled and also the Lady of the Lamp . She became a true legend when she became a volunteer nurse to provide assistance to soldiers in battle during the Franco-Russian War in 1854.
From that moment on, and thanks to his efforts, the care and discharge of combatant soldiers improved. For this, he had the help of 38 more nurses who he recruited to provide health care, which was a true revolutionary feat, since a notable improvement in the wounded was achieved, as well as a significant reduction in soldiers who died due to lack of health and care. medical.
Happy international nurses day quotes
- “I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse.” – Florence Nightingale
- “I think one’s feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions which bring results.” – Florence Nightingale
- “I attribute my life to God, my success to my parents, and my strength to my profession.” – Florence Nightingale
- “Live life when you have it. Life is a splendid gift – there is nothing small about it.” – Florence Nightingale
- “Let whoever is in charge keep this simple question in her/his head: not, how can I always do this right thing myself, but how can I provide for this right thing to always be done?” – Florence Nightingale
- “I am of certain convinced that the greatest heroes are those who do their duty in the daily grind of domestic affairs whilst the world whirls as a maddening dreidel.” – Florence Nightingale
- “The very first requirement in a hospital is that it should do the sick no harm.” – Florence Nightingale
- “How very little can be done under the spirit of fear.” – Florence Nightingale
- “The world is put back by the death of every one who has to sacrifice the development of his or her peculiar gifts to conventionality.” – Florence Nightingale
- “Were there none who were discontented with what they have, the world would never reach anything better.” – Florence Nightingale
- “Nurses are the heart of healthcare. Their compassion, dedication, and expertise bring healing and hope to patients around the world.” – Unknown
- “Nursing is not just a profession, it’s a calling. It requires selflessness, resilience, and a genuine desire to make a difference in people’s lives.” – Unknown
- “Nurses dispense comfort, compassion, and caring without even a prescription.” – Val Saintsbury
- “A nurse is one who opens the eyes of a newborn, gently closes the eyes of a dying person, and heals the hearts of many in between.” – Unknown
- “Nurses may not be angels, but they are the next best thing.” – Unknown
- “Nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter’s or sculptor’s work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body?” – Florence Nightingale
- “Nurses are the hospitality of the hospital.” – Carrie Latet
- “Nursing is an endless act of kindness, compassion, and patience. It is the art of touching lives, one patient at a time.” – Unknown
- “Nurses are the silent heroes of the healthcare world, providing comfort, care, and healing to those in need.” – Unknown
- “Nursing is not just about fixing bodies; it’s about touching lives and comforting souls.” – Donna Wilk Cardillo
Wishes for international nurses day
- On International Nurses Day, I wish to express my deepest gratitude to all the dedicated nurses around the world. Your selfless service, compassion, and commitment to patient care are truly remarkable. Thank you for making a difference every day.
- May this International Nurses Day bring recognition and appreciation for the incredible work nurses do. Your tireless efforts, empathy, and expertise are invaluable. Wishing you strength and fulfillment in your noble profession.
- Sending warm wishes to all the nurses on International Nurses Day. Your unwavering dedication, resilience, and kindness inspire us all. May you continue to touch lives and make a positive impact in the healthcare community.
- Happy International Nurses Day! Today, we celebrate the extraordinary individuals who provide comfort, healing, and hope to patients worldwide. Your professionalism, skill, and unwavering spirit are truly admirable. Thank you for being healthcare heroes.
- On this special day, I extend my heartfelt wishes to all the nurses who work tirelessly to care for others. Your compassion, expertise, and endless devotion make a significant difference in people’s lives. May you always find fulfillment and joy in your noble calling.
- As we celebrate International Nurses Day, I want to acknowledge the incredible contributions nurses make to global healthcare. Your dedication, expertise, and compassion are unmatched. Thank you for being the backbone of the medical profession.
- Wishing all the nurses a happy International Nurses Day! Your kindness, empathy, and professionalism are the epitome of true healthcare heroes. May you receive the respect, support, and recognition you deserve for your invaluable service.
- Today, we honor the nurses who tirelessly care for patients, provide comfort to families, and work towards a healthier world. On International Nurses Day, may you feel appreciated, valued, and empowered. Thank you for your unwavering commitment.
- Happy International Nurses Day to the amazing nurses who go above and beyond to deliver exceptional care. Your dedication, expertise, and compassion touch countless lives. May you always find fulfillment and inspiration in your noble vocation.
- On this International Nurses Day, I extend my heartfelt appreciation to nurses worldwide. Your passion, resilience, and unwavering dedication are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for making a profound difference in the lives of others.
International nurses day speech 2023
Ladies and gentlemen,
Today, we gather here to celebrate a group of extraordinary individuals who play an indispensable role in our healthcare system—our nurses. On this special occasion of Nurses Day, we come together to recognize their dedication, compassion, and unwavering commitment to providing quality care to patients around the world.
Nurses are the heart and soul of our healthcare system. They are the ones who provide comfort, support, and healing to those in need. Day and night, they work tirelessly, putting others before themselves, to ensure the well-being of their patients. Their expertise, knowledge, and skills make a significant difference in the lives of countless individuals and families.
Nursing is not just a profession; it is a calling—an innate desire to serve and make a positive impact on others. It requires a unique blend of compassion, empathy, and strength. Nurses are not only caregivers but also advocates, educators, and pillars of support. They hold the hands of the sick, listen to their concerns, and provide solace during challenging times.
In the face of adversity, nurses stand strong. They demonstrate resilience, adaptability, and courage, especially during times of crisis. The world witnessed their heroic efforts during the recent global health challenges. Nurses stepped forward, facing unprecedented circumstances with grace and determination. Their unwavering commitment and sacrifice inspire us all.
Today, let us take a moment to express our deepest gratitude to these exceptional individuals. Let us acknowledge their immense contributions and the impact they have on the lives of patients and communities. They are the ones who bring hope and healing to our hospitals, clinics, and homes.
To all the nurses present here today, please accept our heartfelt thanks. Your tireless dedication and selfless service do not go unnoticed. Your ability to provide compassionate care while maintaining professionalism is commendable. You truly embody the spirit of Florence Nightingale, whose legacy continues to guide and inspire your noble profession.
On this Nurses Day, let us also remember those nurses who have gone before us, paving the way for the advancements we see today. Their commitment and passion have shaped the nursing profession into what it is today—a vital force in healthcare.
In closing, let us remember to support and uplift our nurses. They deserve our respect, recognition, and appreciation, not just on this special day, but every day. Together, let us continue to foster an environment that values and celebrates the contributions of nurses, empowering them to fulfill their calling and make a lasting difference in the lives of others.
Thank you, nurses, for your unwavering dedication, your compassionate care, and for being the true heroes of our healthcare system. Happy Nurses Day!
How to celebrate International Nursing Day?
The celebration of this event is more relevant, due to the recognition of the commendable work of these health professionals, in the face of the global health emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
International conferences are organized, with the participation of institutions, foundations and university faculties in the area of health.
Likewise, commemorative events and recognition of the careers of outstanding nursing professionals are held in various countries.
Share images, videos and interesting information about International Nursing Day on social networks , adding the hashtags #InternationalNursingDay #NursingDay .
Also Read: Nurses Day: Florence, Servant of Humanity